Diabetes is a global epidemic1. Conventional medicine controls the symptoms through administering insulin but diabetes remains in place as a chronic disease. In due course, if it is not properly managed, it can lead to many other health conditions including blindness, leg and foot amputations, nerve damage and kidney disease and even death2.In 2015 alone, diabetes caused or contributed to 250,000 deaths in the USA making it the seventh leading cause of death in the USA. That is why it is important to make an effort to reverse the diseases and to learn of natural remedies for diabetes.
Natural Remedies for Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a completely preventable and reversible condition if natural remedies are employed. If you are struggling with diabetes symptoms, begin the steps to reverse the disease naturally today. There are natural remedies for diabetes that can reverse the disease entirely or control blood sugar levels and these have been confirmed by studies. That is because alternative medicine focuses on both the underlying causes of the ailment, and the symptoms, treating the body as an interconnected whole.
1. Remove Harmful Foods from Your Diet
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease that is mainly caused by food. If you are serious about reversing your diabetes then you have to start by avoiding the following foods in a prediabetes diet or diabetes diet.
- Sweetened beverages: Avoid beverages such as sodas and fruit juices that contain refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup. The sugars quickly turn into glucose and spike your blood sugar levels and that is the main cause diabetes.
- Artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes such as aspartame, found in sugar-free drinks and candy have been found to cause diabetes as well through their harmful effects on the body. Our guide to
- Grains and grain products, such as baked products, corn flakes, white rice, pasta, and corn meal, contain huge amounts of carbohydrates, which quickly break down into glucose and increase blood sugar levels. That is why they are classified as having a high glycemic index.
- Gluten containing grains: Gluten causes intestinal inflammation which leads to leaky gut syndrome which causes auto immune reaction in the body which causes type 1 diabetes. It also affects hormones like cortisol and leptin which leads to high increases in blood sugar.
- Other high glycemic index foods such as potatoes, potato chips, French fries, and candy bars quickly spike your blood sugar levels.
- Conventional cow’s milk and dairy products contain A1 casein which harms the body and triggers an auto immune response just like gluten.
- GMO Foods: GMO soy and corn and canola oil have been linked to diabetes, liver and kidney diseases. Look for products that are labeled GMO-free or organic.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can dangerously increase blood sugar levels. Research has found that drinking three or more drinks per day (heavy consumption) increases the risk of diabetes by 43%.3. When you need to drink, make sure to check-out our guide of Low Carb Alcoholic Beverages.
- Hydrogenated and refined oils: Avoid hydrogenated oils such as margarine and hydrogenated fats found in your bread. Avoiding regular bread means avoiding hydrogenated oils and gluten at the same time. Avoid regular cooking oils such as soybean oil, cotton seed oil and canola oil which are highly processed and treated at high temperatures and combined with bleaching agents and artificial dyes. Consuming all these oils has been linked to diabetes and other illnesses.
2. Reduce Intake of Toxins
Recent research4found that environmental toxins, such as pesticides found in our food and drinking water, can contribute to causing or worsening Type 1 Diabetes. It is not easy to avoid toxins completely because our water, air and intensively grown food are heavily polluted. But at least avoid pollution in your home by avoiding pesticide-laden produce.
Instead buy organically grown fruits and vegetables. If you can’t buy organic produce, then buy natural fruit and vegetable wash online or from the health food store. Avoid conventional cow’s milk and all meats because it they are laden with chemical hormones and antibiotics.
3. Eat the Right Foods
Diabetes is mainly caused by eating incorrect foods. It can therefore be reversed or prevented by eating the right foods, these are excellent natural remedies for diabetes.
- High Fiber Foods: High fiber foods, such as vegetables and fruits, contain both soluble and insoluble fiber which reduce blood sugar surges by removing excess sugar and excreting it through the feces. Also, fiber makes you feel full longer, removing the urge to keep eating.
- Low glycemic index fruits such as apples, pears, peaches, bananas, blueberries, papayas and mangoes digest slowly and release sugar slowly. Blueberries reduce the risk of diabetes as has been found in laboratory studies.
- Complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, whole grains, beans, legumes and sweet potatoes have a complex structure which makes them break down slowly releasing sugar slowly into the blood. They give you steady energy longer without spiking blood sugar.
- Plant based protein have a balanced profile since they provide fat, fiber and amino acids and are low in saturated fats. Black, navy, pinto or kidney beans provide essential amino acids and they are high in fiber, magnesium and potassium.
- Dark, green leafy vegetables such as collards, kale and spinach are low in carbohydrates and calories, and high in many nutrients.
- Dairy from pastured animals (raw milk, cheese and yogurt) is low in sugar, high in probiotics, and will cause less harm than intensively farmed milk. It is a good choice if you prefer to eat animal-based protein.
- Wild caught fish is also a good source of protein if you prefer animal-based protein, provided it is free from mercury.
- Tamarind Fruit: Include this powerful sweet and sour fruit in your diet because it is one of the most effective natural remedies for diabetes. It regulates blood sugar and treats diabetes, among its many medicinal benefits.
- Nuts such as pistachios, macadamias, Brazil nuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, and cashews all control diabetes in different ways.
- Green tea has been found to be a promising prevention measure for type 1 diabetes and to regulate blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes according to Natural News5. It has shown promise in promoting weight loss, a measure that is required for reversal of diabetes.
- Spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, and fenugreek are known to help slow down progression of diabetes.
- Dark chocolate made from raw unprocessed cocoa, without sugar added, reduces the risk of insulin resistance.
4. Take the Right Supplements
Here are some of the many herbal supplements that are great natural remedies for diabetes.
- Ginseng tea is helpful for lowering blood sugar levels and increasing energy. Caution: If you are hypertensive do not take ginseng.
- Spirulina is a potent superfood that contains vitamins and minerals and has been proven to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Chromium picolinate, a combination of mineral chromium and the amino acid picolinate, has proven to be beneficial6 for stabilizing blood sugar levels. It works by enhancing insulin absorption and facilitating the movement of glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
- Mango leaves are the simplest and quite effective natural remedies for diabetes and many other ailments. Take 10 to 15 tender leaves, boil them in 250ml of water. Leave it overnight then first thing in the morning remove the leaves and drink the tea. Do this for about months and you will reverse diabetes. You can also dry the leaves and grind them, then take half a teaspoon in water two times per day.
- Bitter melon extract helps lower blood glucose levels, and it regulates the body’s use of insulin. Studies show that bitter melon extract can help reduce and manage symptoms of diabetes such as insulin resistance, heart complications, kidney damage, blood vessel damage, eye disorders and hormone irregularities.
5. Try the Fasting-mimicking Diet:
Fasting is the fastest way to get your body to burn sugar. However, if you cannot stay away from food for some days, try the fasting-mimicking diet. This is where you eat a little bit of fatty foods for fuel and nothing else for a number of days. A recent study article published in Science Daily in February 20177 found that a fasting-mimicking diet8
may help to reverse the effects of Type 2 Diabetes. The diet works by giving the pancreas a chance to regenerate and produce new insulin cells Fast-mimicking is an important step in the ongoing fight against diabetes.
6. Stay Active!
Because most of us live sedentary lives, most of the sugar that we take in is not being burned through work and the body has to cope with it. The best thing is to do some moderate vigorous exercise daily which includes strength building and cardio. Exercise increases the muscles’ ability to use insulin and after some time it can help to reverse insulin resistance. Do some weight lifting a few times per week and perform some form of cardio on other days.
Doctors claim that diabetes is chronic because their way of treating it does not deal with the root cause. Including natural remedies for diabetes is effective because it deals with the source of the problem while changing things at cellular level to bring back health. Some people have refused conventional treatments and they reversed diabetes by simply changing their diet and lifestyle. That is proof that natural remedies work!
- Globalization Of Diabetes
Frank Hu – http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/6/1249
- Mohammad Asif – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3977406/
- Effect Of Alcohol Consumption on Diabetes Mellitus: a Systematic Review. A Howard-J Arnsten-M Gourevitch – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14757619.
- Diabetes: The Toxin Connection
Donna Nakazawa – https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/diabetes-the-toxin-connection/
- The Top 20 Foods For Reversing Type-2 Diabetes
- Supplementation with Chromium Picolinate: Therapeutic For Diabetes and Pre-diabetes
Melissa Smith – http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/supplementation-with-chromium-picolinate/
- Fasting-mimicking Diet May Reverse Diabetes. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170223124259.htm
- The Benefits Of Fasting Without the Fasting?
Rachael Link – https://draxe.com/fasting-mimicking-diet